Skip to main content

Support Your Authors!

I know, I know, another post about writing? No. This is for all of you readers out there. This includes authors. We love to read blogs, short stories, anthologies, the latest novels, etc., don't we? Some think that this supports the authors plenty, and yes, it does, but there are so many other ways to do this. Have you checked on your favorite author's blog lately? Website? How about doing that and putting the link to it on your social media? You might be surprised at the response. Sometimes I find the best posts quite by accident, but when a friend or family member posts something about Terry Brooks or Heather Graham, it is news to me and I jump at it. When it is someone I haven't heard of, I still get curious and check it out and I know I am not the only one who would do that.
Twitter is great for getting out ideas and such but have you added authors to your Twitter lists? I have and have discovered many writers and books I might never have heard of otherwise. This also goes for Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+, among others. Some of these posts they put out there also support other authors, as well. This is a domino effect that benefits the reader as much as the author.
Maybe you are the type that finds treasures by accident at garage sales with boxes of books marked a dollar each or you are the kind that stalks that perfect book at book stores in hopes that that book just jumps out at you. I happen to be both, but we are a world in the technological age. Why not use it?
Now, you have followed my advice and checked out your fave's blog or website. On it you found a link to one of his/her fave writers. Bonus! Drop a comment on their page and let them know how you feel about them and their writing. Trust me, we are not snobs who think we have enough people reading our stuff and will brush you off. These comments are ambrosia to us!
Have you ever left a review on an author page or on Amazon/B&N/etc.? Reviews tell us where we go right and where we go wrong. Without you telling us, how will we know? I don't care if fifty people leave a review for my book, I still want to here from you and I know the rest of the authors do, too. Not to mention the fact that other readers depend on these reviews to help them decide if this is the book for them. I go straight to the reviews when I look at my next online purchase of a book. People can be brutally honest about it and believe it or not, the author appreciates every word. Even the bad ones (no I don't mean swearing. Lol) tell them something.
There are many ways to promote a writer and I have only covered a few of them. If you have more ways, please tell us in the comments below.
Here is an idea. If you have a link to an awesome writer, leave that link in the comments, as well. I would love to check it out and I know others would, too.

Have a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding Flesh to Bones: Character Creation in Fiction

Here you have your great story idea. You have it in your head how it is supposed to go and where its happening. You are set for that million-seller, award winning novel. Now you just have to get it down on paper, or word processor. Boom! You get to writing and the first character comes up. Your face gets that blank look to it and your enthusiasm fades. Who is this person? Where is he from? Do you have any background on him? How did he get to here? EEEEEEK! I will tell you this, sometimes, most of the time, you are not writing about a story. You are writing about a character, or several. Sometimes the character is so obvious that creation is easy. Joe Shmo is a mechanic who wins the lottery, or Jane Whatsherface moves to the beach into an old lighthouse. But is it this easy every time? Not on your life!  If you go into your story without some sort of idea about your characters, it is like going cross-country driving without ever opening a map. The journey is slow and arduous. There w

My 10 Quick Tips on Writing

Hello, my fellow aspiring writers, poets and playwrights! First I want to thank all of you for the incredible support that you have given me in my writing and blogging. I have been writing most of my life but only recently decided to go pro. Many of you have decided the same thing. It's a rough road but we can take it. We are tough. It is always helpful (at least it is to me) when others with more experience or just some good ideas share what they know with the rest of us, so here I go with my little bit. Here are 10 quick tips on writing that I have found to be really helpful to learn. 1. Write like a demon! Ignore the format of the page, all of the little writing rules and every bit of writing tips you have been forced to swallow and just write! Let the words flow out like a busted fire hydrant. That first draft is the most important, even with its type-o's, grammar snaffoos and plot holes. It is the heart of any writing process and you can't let over thi

Free Peek at Balance on the Terra

I hope you enjoy this excerpt from my book, Balance on the Terra. Let me know what you think. At the beginning of Time, there were many Gods of different sorts and degrees of importance. They each had phenomenal powers, and all had fascinations of one kind or another. One had a love for the water and placed water sources that moved and flowed on the Terra, while another had a 'green thumb,' as it were, and filled as many areas with plants and trees as she could, creating her own garden to tend. This was the same for all of the gods. While others would obsess over their interests, there were some that took their time and leisure to let their diversions flourish on their own while the god would watch it, like a child would watch a spinning top. It was this way when the Creator of Time was given free reign over the Terra. Anything that his imagination could see walking, crawling, swimming, or flying was created with joy. However, he realized that while each one of the creations